About Barcelona Center for Applied Sciences
Barcelona Center for Applied Sciences (BCAS) offers alternative education to migrant communities in Barcelona and those who belong to the marginalized, underprivileged and vulnerable groups. BCAS is a collaboration between various organizations such as the Filipino Christian community in Barcelona, the Commission for Filipino Migrant Workers (CFMW), Servicio Filipino BCN, other migrant organizations and individuals from Pakistan and India, Father Tony Laureta of Barcelona, Mr. Ramon Sanahuja, Director of Immigration and Interculturality of Barcelona, Ms. Leonilla Cabradilla-Antolin of Grupo Tahanan and many more who generously pledged their support to the program.
- May 13, 2017, BCAS started offering its first ever Diploma Course in Global Studies. This is a One (1) year program that carries with it 60 European Credit Transfer System awarded by the International Council for Higher Education (IHRE) through our partner Foundation Academy Amsterdam.
- In November of 2017, we launched our Diploma in Integrated Human Rights Education (IHRE). This intensive 7-month program carries with it 60 European Credit Transfer System awarded by the International Council for Higher Education (IHRE) through our partner Foundation Academy Amsterdam.
- In May of 2018, we opened a 6-week Intensive Certificate Program in Business Creation. It was designed to expose the students to various business scenarios, principles and practices for them to have a broader idea of how to set up a business especially here in Barcelona and in Europe.
- In July 2018, BCAS started offering Intermediate Spanish classes to better assist our learners in their desire to integrate in Spanish society. As language seems to be the main challenge to overcome, BCAS responds by offering classes in writing and speaking in Spanish. This is currently a continuing program with BCAS and levels are added or upgraded as needed.
We are currently partnered with Grupo Tahanan located at Calle Torres I Amat 13. This is where we are hold our classes for the time being.
Through education, BCAS aims to
- Stimulate self-empowerment of migrant communities in Barcelona
- Promote dialogue, mutual understanding and social action between migrant communities and Barcelona civil society
BCAS came into fruition as part of Foundation Academy of Amsterdam, (formerly called Foundation University), a Christian-inspired educational institution. Diplomas earned through Foundation Academy of Amsterdam and BCAS is accredited by International Council for Higher Education -ICHE (www.ichenetwork.org), a private Christian accrediting body based in Switzerland and India.
In 2019, we have added another milestone to BCAS by getting accredited as a certified partner of the University Institute for International and European Studies and Vitae University in Nice, France.
As an alternative learning institution, our diploma belongs to a special category, not comparable to those being offered by traditional learning institutions but certainly at par with the European standards. Our current diploma courses have 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System).
Dr. Elizabeth Soliday-Naui (Ph.D. University of Nice Sophia Antipolis i3M Laboratoire, France), is appointed as the overall coordinator of Barcelona Consortium for Applied Sciences and is heading this project. Lecturers come from different parts of Europe and are the best in their field.